Serving New Buffalo, Benton Harbor, St. Joseph, South Haven, Fennville, Glenn, Douglas, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Spring Lake and Muskegon
Lost to the Lake: The Disappearance of the Alpena
The sidewheel steamship Alpena went down in 'The Big Blow' of 1880. Wreckage washed ashore for several years, and a beach north of Holland is known as Alpena Beach because her paddlebox nameboard was found there in 1909. But she still has not been found on the bottom of Lake Michigan. Learn more on our Lost to the Lake page.
Lighting the Lake:
Marquette Harbor Light
photo: Marquette Maritime Museum
The warm spring, late April frost and subsequent hot summer resulted in an early, albeit diminished, apple harvest this year. Though the crop was reduced by the weather, the apples are still delicious. Make sure to visit our Apple Orchard page earlier than usual this year, and plan on picking some of your favorites soon. With fewer apples available, the reduced crop is certain to go very fast.
Food, Glorious Food:
We call it a grilled sandwich. To Italians, it's a panini. No matter which name it goes by, a panini is one of the most popular and versatile sandwiches around. And while a panini press is not mandatory, if you do develop a taste for these delicious sandwiches, think seriously about investing in a press. Meanwhile pull out a skillet, grab some bread and sandwich filling....and enjoy!
CHICKEN CAESAR PANINI,
- Gone Girl - Fiction - by Gillian Flynn
- Dead of Night: A Zombie Novel - Fiction - by Jonathan Maberry
- Beaten, Seared, and Sauced: On Becoming A Chef at the Culinary Institute of America - Memoir - written by Jonathan Dixon
- Lady of Devices and Her Own Devices - Victorian Steampunk Fiction - written by Shelley Adina
- If You Give A Dog A Donut - Children's Book - written by Laura Numeroff and illustrated by Felicia Bond
- A Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes - Children's Book - written and illustrated by Salley Mavor
- Zoe Gets Ready - Children's Book - written and illustrated by Bethanie Deeney Murguia
Don't forget to read the Calendar of Events for August and September. There's always something happening on the lakeshore.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Lake Effect Living photographs
are the work and property of Sharon Pisacreta.