Serving New Buffalo, Benton Harbor, St. Joseph, South Haven, Fennville, Glenn, Douglas, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Spring Lake and Muskegon
photo: US Coast Guard
Great Lakes historian Dr. Kathy Warnes contributes two items to this issue of Lake Effect Living. The first is a short biography of Captain Henry J. Woods, Keeper of the U. S. Life Saving Service Station at Muskegon. Explore the life of a public servant who was so dedicated to his country that he fought in the Civil War at age 14 -- without enlisting.
Storm off Muskegon
Lighting the Lake:
Split Rock Lighthouse
photo: Wikimedia Commons
The west coast of Michigan boasts perfect conditions for growing grapes. The beautiful waters of Lake Michigan prevent extremes in temperatures, which results in a temperate climate and long growing season. In this issue Lake Effect Living introduces a listing of Wineries along the Lake Michigan shoreline. So head out to one of the lakeshore vineyards and enjoy their many exquisite handcrafted wines.
Food, Glorious Food:
Though Waring Blender cookbooks from the 1940's carried recipes for blended fruit drinks, the smoothie really took off in the macrobiotic craze of the 1960's. Today you can enjoy a "healthy shake" by making some of the tasty smoothie recipes found on our Food, Glorious Food page.
MANGO MADNESS SMOOTHIE,
- Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime - Non-fiction - by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin
- I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag: A Memoir of a Life Through Events--the Ones You Plan and the Ones You Don’t - Memoir - by Jennifer Gilbert
- The Dirty Cowboy - Children's Book - written by Amy Timberlake and illustrated by Adam Rex
- Bats at the Beach - Children's Book - written and illustrated by Brian Lies
- Me...Jane - Children's Book - written and illustrated by Patrick McDonnell
Don't forget to read the Calendar of Events for June and July. There's always something happening on the lakeshore.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Lake Effect Living photographs
are the work and property of Sharon Pisacreta.